Costello Medical is a rapidly growing global healthcare agency specialising in medical communication and health economic and outcomes research. We work with a wide range of clients, including the industry’s most successful pharmaceutical and medical technology companies, patient and public health bodies and charitable organisations. Through our lasting client partnerships, we create a direct and measurable impact on the successful launch of novel therapies and devices across a wide range of disease areas. Our vision is to be a community of the very best people, constantly challenging ourselves to make meaningful and outstanding contributions to improving healthcare.
We are committed to our company values which are central to creating our fun, friendly and innovative workplace in which we strive to deliver the highest standards of quality.
We were founded in Cambridge, UK, in 2008, and enjoyed rapid growth, driven by the demand for our expertise from clients in Europe and North America. Our excellent reputation enabled us to establish our Asia-Pacific office in Singapore in 2014, and in 2019 has seen the opening of our Shanghai office.
About the Role
Following the exciting development of the launch of our new Shanghai office, we are recruiting for Medical Writers/Analysts to join us there as we develop our work for clients based in the region. You will work closely with our experienced global team, including colleagues in Singapore who are currently delivering work for our clients in China.
We are looking for those with experience in scientific research and for enthusiastic recent graduates in the sciences, who possess exceptional English and Mandarin language skills, and have keen interest in pioneering further expansion of the company into China. This is therefore a particularly exciting opportunity if you are keen to help shape the future of Costello Medical. As a founding member of a small regional office, you will need to be self-motivated and proactive, with a genuine enthusiasm for the exciting atmosphere of an expanding business.
Medical Writers and Analysts work on projects involving the detailed analysis of data from clinical trials and the assimilation and creative presentation of this analysis in different formats including posters, slide sets, value dossiers, reports and peer-reviewed publications. These deliverables are used directly by our clients in communication with external stakeholders instrumental to the successful uptake of novel therapies. The work is structured on a project-by-project basis and you will usually be working on several projects in different disease areas at any one time.
You will work in project teams alongside experienced colleagues, who provide one-to-one training in the technical aspects of the role, including project management and effective client communication. Delivering project work requires close collaboration with clients, and following a successful induction period you will increasingly participate in teleconferences and face-to-face meetings with external stakeholders.
Please see below to learn about the difference between Medical Writers and Analysts; please note that you will be asked to specify which role you are applying for in your application form.
Medical Writers work on a variety of projects across different specialties with a direct focus on written communication. In particular, Medical Writers focus on the development of publications in both English and Mandarin (abstracts, posters, oral presentations and manuscripts) targeted at scientific journals and conferences. These projects require the ability to work closely with clients and prominent doctors to deliver high quality writing which is scientifically rigorous and in line with the strategic positioning of the pharmaceutical or medical devices product. The role also requires constant dedication to customer service and developing strong relationships with the clients, academics, and healthcare professionals in China and globally.
Outside of publications, Medical Writers also work on other projects, including developing slide sets for educational events or advisory boards as well as developing reports and other written materials.
Analysts work across a variety of projects and specialise in document types and formats such as educational materials, slide sets, value dossiers, reimbursement submissions and literature review reports. In a typical week, you could be working on a slide set summarising the epidemiology of type 2 diabetes in Mandarin, supporting a client at an onsite educational event in Qingdao and working alongside our Health Economists to adapt a cost-effectiveness model for a client in the Asia-Pacific region.
What Background Should You Have?
- Local graduates from 985 or 211 universities with CET-6 (a local EN test) or TOEFL/IELTS test results are preferred. A degree level or higher qualification in a scientific discipline (minimum 2.1) if you are a foreign graduate. We welcome applications from candidates with a diverse range of specialisms, including but not limited to: biology, chemistry, pharmacy and medicine
- Exceptional written and spoken fluency in Mandarin (equivalent to native Mandarin language skills)
- Excellent written and spoken fluency in English
- An ability to communicate scientific materials clearly in both written and oral form
- Excellent understanding of and ability to apply scientific concepts
- Close attention to detail
- Aptitude for and experience of scientific writing which could include dissertations, research summaries, lab reports, poster or oral presentations, peer-reviewed scientific publications, book chapters, grant applications, regulatory documents, and articles for websites or student magazines
- Competency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Organisational skills and the ability to work across multiple projects at the same time
- Previous experience in this sector, including in the Chinese healthcare system, is highly desirable. You should have a genuine interest in healthcare and an eagerness to learn about new areas of clinical science
What We Offer
The starting salary for the role is typically RMB 14,000 per month, however we may be able to offer a higher starting salary for more experienced candidates. Please click here to learn about our reward package and the other benefits of working for Costello Medical.